pyVmomi is the Python SDK for the VMware vSphere API that allows you to manage ESX, ESXi, and vCenter.
To get started, see the getting started guide. You'll need Python, pip, and the samples project.
- community discussion on IRC freenode.net channels #pyvmomi and #pyvmomi-dev
- community email is on nabble
Don't know what pip is? Any serious python developer should know, so here's a throrough intro to pip that we like.
The master is code that is in development, official releases are tagged and posted to pypi
- The official release is available using pip, just run
pip install --upgrade pyvmomi.
- To install the version in github use
python setup.py developfor development install or
python setup.py install.
Unit tests can be invoked by using the tox command. You may have to
configure multiple python interpreters so that you can test in all the
environments listed in
tox.ini or you will have to run
tox with the
-e flag to run only in your version of python. For example, if you only
have Python 2.7 then
tox -e py27 will limit your test run to Python 2.7.
- Research open issues
- Follow the contribution standards
- Coordinate with other developers on the project.
For general language neutral documentation of vSphere Management API see:
- pyVmomi 5.5.0-2014.1 and later support Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.3 and 3.4
- pyVmomi 5.5.0 and below support Python 2.6 and 2.7
pyVmomi versions are marked vSphere_version-release . Pyvmomi maintains minimum backward compatibility with the previous _four_ releases of vSphere and it's own previous four releases. Compatibility with much older versions may continue to work but will not be actively supported.
For example, version v5.5.0-2014.1 is most compatible with vSphere 5.5, 5.1, 5.0, and 4.1 and was the first release in 2014. Initial releases compatible with a version of vSphere will bare a naked version number of v5.5.0 indicating that version of pyVmomi was released simultaneously with the GA version of vSphere with the same version number.
- release notes https://github.com/vmware/pyvmomi/releases/tag/v5.1.0
- Feature Incubator: pyvmomi-tools https://github.com/vmware/pyvmomi-tools
- Samples Project: https://github.com/vmware/pyvmomi-community-samples