If you liked the original incarnation of World of Warcraft and still want to play it, this is the branch for you. We provide an authentication server where you can manage your users, and a world server which serves game content just like the original did back then.
It aims to be 100% compatible with the 3 final versions of Vanilla World of Warcraft,
namely patch 1.12.1, patch 1.12.2 & patch 1.12.3.
IT DOES NOT SUPPORT 1.13.x and beyond which is the newly released Classic Experience (NuClassic).
The server supports a wide range of operating systems, and various compiler platforms. In order to do that, we use various free cross-platform libraries and use CMake (v3.12+) to provide a cross-platform build system which adapts to your chosen operating system and compiler.
Currently we support running the server on the following operating systems:
- Windows, 32 bit and 64 bit. Windows Server 2008 (or newer) or Windows 8 (or newer) is recommended.
- Linux, 32 bit and 64 bit. Debian 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS are recommended. Other distributions with similar package versions will work, too.
- BSD, 32 bit and 64 bit. FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD are recommended.
Of course, newer versions should work, too. In the case of Windows, matching server versions will work, too.
Building the server is currently possible with these compilers:
Microsoft Visual Studio 32 bit and 64 bit. All editions of Visual Studio from 2015 upwards are officially supported (although support for 2015 and 2017 are end of life.)
Clang, 32 bit and 64 bit. The Clang compiler can be used on any supported operating system.
The server stands on the shoulders of several well-known Open Source libraries plus a few awesome, but less known libraries to prevent us from inventing the wheel again.
Please note that Linux and Mac OS X users should install packages using their systems package management instead of source packages.
- Git / Github for Windows: This version control software allows you to get the source files in the first place.
- MySQL / MariaDB: These databases are used to store content and user data.
- ACE: aka Adaptive Communication Environment, provides us with a solid cross-platform framework for abstracting operating system specific details.
- Recast: In order to create navigation data from the client's map files, Recast is used to do the dirty work. It provides functions for rendering, pathing, etc.
- G3D: This engine provides the basic framework for handling 3D data and is used to handle basic map data.
- Stormlib: Provides an abstraction layer for reading from the client's data files.
- Zlib/Zlib for Windows provides compression algorithms used in both MPQ archive handling and the client/server protocol.
- Bzip2/Bzip2 for Windows provides compression algorithms used in MPQ archives.
- OpenSSL/OpenSSL for Windows provides encryption algorithms used when authenticating clients.
ACE, Recast, G3D, Stormlib, Zlib and Bzip2 are included in the standard distribution as we rely on specific versions.
- Doxygen: If you want to export HTML or PDF formatted documentation for the Mangos API, you should install this.
We have a small, but extremely friendly and helpful community managed by MadMax and Antz.
Our discord/forum motto is:
'Be nice or Be somewhere else'
Any trolling or unpleasantness is swiftly dealt with !!
We welcome anyone who is interested in enjoying older versions of wow or contributing and helping out !
We also have a Discord server where many of us hang out and discuss Mangos related stuff.
The repository of as much information as we can pack in. Details regarding the Database, file type definitions, packet definitons etc.
Bug / Issue Tracker
Found an issue or something which doesn't seem right, please log it in the relevant section of the Bug Tracker.
Installation instructions for various operation systems can be found here.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
The full license is included in the file LICENSE.
We have all put in hundreds of hours of time for free to make the server what it
All we ask is that if you modify the code and make improvements, please have the decency to feed those changes back to us.
In addition, as a special exception, permission is granted to link the code of Mangos with the OpenSSL project's OpenSSL library (or with modified versions of it that use the same license as the OpenSSL library), and distribute the linked executables. You must obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for all of the code used other than OpenSSL.
World of Warcraft, and all related art, images, and lore are copyright Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.