This app is called Fontster. It is an app created for those who wish to change the fonts on their phone. It has a wide array of fonts available for the user to choose from, allowing the user to choose what they prefer. To actually use the app, your phone must be rooted. In the app itself there are four options, install/preview a font, backup/restore, veiw current installed font, and options.
- Rooted Phone
- Android Ice Cream Sandwich or higher (Version 4.0+)
- Open app
- Decide whether you want to install/preview, backup/restore, view currently installed font, or see the options.
- Choose the option you decided on.
- If you choose to install a font simply tap the icon of the font chosen. To preview a font, press and hold the icon.
- It is strongly recommended that you backup your current font in order to restore it later on if needed by taping the restore button.
- If you wish to view the currently installed font then tap the "view currently installed font" button.
- Finally after you are done with everything, click on the reboot button that you are prompted with.
- Enjoy your newly installed fonts.
Devices Tested On
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Samsung Galaxy Ace II X
- Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- Google Nexus 5
- Google Nexus 4
- Moto X
- HTC Desire
- Sony Xperia Ion (Unsuccesful)
We will be creating an Android app that allows users to pick from a large selection of custom fonts, and then install the one of their choice as the system typeface. In other words we will be developing a font installer app for Android. Other functionalities of the app include font previewing, backup and restore fonts, and view currently installed font. The app requires that your device is rooted (necessary in order to write new fonts into the system partition), and that it is running Android Ice Cream Sandwich or higher (Android 4.0+). In addition it is recommended that your device has at least 512MB of RAM, and a single core 1GHz processor or better. Sufficient storage space is also essential for the downloaded fonts to reside. The app will need access to the following permissions:
- Modify or delete the contents of your SD card (to store downloaded fonts)
- Full permissions to all device features and storage (root access needed to push fonts into system)
- Download files without notification and full network access (needed to contact server and download fonts)
Based on our research we have come to an estimate that approximately 1 percent of all Android devices are rooted. The current number of Android device activations is just over 1 billion, therefore about 10 million rooted Android devices exist. We must also take into consideration that our app requires Android version 4.0 or higher. This equates to 80 percent of all devices running Android. Finally 80 percent of 10 million, results in 8 million devices. This number represents the number of possible users for our app. There is a large amount of Android users who are greatly enthusiastic about changing the look of their devices. Many consumers who buy into Android do so primarily because of the wide range of customization that the mobile operating system offers. This app will extend the users control over their device and allow them to personalize it further to their liking.