This is an initial braindump. I will be organizing as I get time.
Everyone collects or use online utilities, and most folks have a list of a few that they feel are indispensable. Here's my ongoing list. Each has a distinct purpose, and I probably touch each at least a few times a week/month/year. For me, "util" means utilitarian and it means don't clutter my tray. If it saves me time, and seamlessly integrates with my life, it's the bomb. Many/most are free some aren't. Those that aren't free are very likely worth your 30-day trial, and very likely worth your money.
This page contains some usefull tools for development in general, cli and online.
Awesome CLI Apps - A curated list of command line apps.
Chocolatey – It’s a weird name, but it’s apt-get for Windows and once you start using it, you’ll be hooked. I tend to use it by default, even before Googling, to install stuff. Consider a "favoriteutils" batch file for building new machines and you'll be off and running in no time. Even better, use...
Boxstarter - Build on top of Chocolatey and NuGet and create complete Windows environments and push them to your machines with Gists from your friends or your own GitHub. Even deploy to remote machines or Hyper-V with 100% unattended installs.
TeraCopy - While I use the excellent built in copy features of Windows 8.1 the most, when I want to move a LOT of files as FAST as possible, nothing beats TeraCopy, an app that does just that - move stuff fast.
NimbleText - Regular Expressions are hard and I'm not very smart. NimbleText lets me do crazy stuff with large amounts of text without it hurting so much.
GOW Gnu on Windows - Sometimes Cygwin is just overkill. Gow is 130 useful *nix command line utilities recompiled as native Win32 binaries.
F.lux - I admit, I thought this was stupid when I started using it. It took a few days, but now, given that I have 3 large monitors, I can't live without it. It slowly, imperceptibly, changes the color temperature of your monitor's color as the sky itself changes. It prevents (for me) headaches and eyestrain from running bright blue and white monitors late at night. Love it. Try it.
LINQPad - Interactively query your databases with LINQ with this tool from Joseph Albahari. A fantastic learning tool for those who are just getting into LINQ or for those who want a code snippet IDE to execute any C# or VB expression. Free and wonderful. There's a whole list of LINQ related tools on Jim Wooley's (http://www.thinqlinq.com/Post.aspx/Title/LINQ-Tools) site as well.
scriptcs - You can easily install scriptcs with Chocolatey, and you'll quickly be able to execute C# scripts with no need to compile. Just make a .csx file, no need for even a class if you like, and you're off. It's C# and PowerShell and something more.
Fiddler - The easy, clean, and powerful debugging proxy for checking out HTTP between here and there. It even supports sniffing SSL traffic.
BrowserStack - Browser Stack is an amazing cloud of virtual machines running dozens of browsers on as many operating system. A fantastic cross-browser testing tool that has optional Visual Studio integration.
HeidiSQL - Complete tiny MySQL and SqlServer management app. Supported by apps.
ProcessExplorer - The ultimate replacement for TaskManager. Includes the amazing Find DLL feature to find out what processes have your DLL in memory.
Editors and IDE´s
- Visual Studio code - isual Studio Code is a code editor redefined and optimized for building and debugging modern web and cloud applications. Visual Studio Code is free and available on your favorite platform - Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows
- Atom - A hackable text editor for the 21st Century.
- PHPStorm - Lightning-smart PHP IDE.7
- Koding - Get developers up & running on any project, from anywhere in
- Ideone - Ideone is an online compiler and debugging tool which allows you to compile source code and execute it online in more than 60 programming languages.
- CodePicnic - Run live code in the browser. 20 hours free per month.
- CodePen - CodePen is a playground for the front end web.
- Json Editor - Online JSON editor
- Dillinger.io - Online Markdown editor.
- RegExr - RegExr is an online tool to learn, build, & test Regular Expressions (RegEx / RegExp).
File and Text Manipulation
- Mergely - Online Merge / Diff tool
- jq - jq is a lightweight and flexible command-line JSON processor.
- hostess - An idempotent command-line utility for managing your /etc/hosts file.
- pandoc - Convert between multiple file formats
- extract - A command line tool for extracting any archive file.
- renamer - Batch rename files and folders.
- Download and extract files - Download and extract files
- sejda - An extendible and configurable PDF manipulation layer library written in Java. A ready to use java library to perform PDF document manipulation without having to deal with the low level API.
- hub - hub is a command line tool that wraps git in order to extend it with extra features and commands that make working with GitHub easier.
- gist - Potentially the best command line gister
- clog-cli - Generate a changelog from git metadata
- release-it - Interactive release tool for Git repos. Bump version, commit, tag, push, build, publish to npm.
- bitbucket-cli - A command-line helper for BitBucket. This program is inspired Chris Wanstrath's wonderful github command-line program, and aims to expose a similar interface for BitBucket users.
- gitsome - A supercharged Git/shell autocompleter with GitHub integration.
- Python SimpleHTTP Server - starts a web server in any directory
- ngrok - Secure tunnels to localhost
- localtunnel - Localtunnel allows you to easily share a web service on your local development machine without messing with DNS and firewall settings.
- http-server - http-server is a simple, zero-configuration command-line http server. It is powerful enough for production usage, but it's simple and hackable enough to be used for testing, local development, and learning.
- pageres-cli - Capture website screenshots
- youtube-dl - Small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and other video sites
- imgur-uploader-cli - Uploads images to Imgur from command line
- ImageScrapper - High performance, multi-threaded image scraper.
- doto - Python Interfafce to DigitalOcean API
- cloudflare-python - cloudflare-python provides a CLI and Python wrappers for CloudFlare's API.
- haproxyctl - HAProxy control tool
- overcast - A command line program designed to make it easy to spin up, configure, and interact with any number of machines over SSH.
- mycli - A command line client for MySQL that can do auto-completion and syntax highlighting.
- siege - Siege is an http load tester and benchmarking utility
- heroku-toolbelt - Heroku CLI
- terraform - Terraform provides a common configuration to launch infrastructure — from physical and virtual servers to email and DNS providers.
- packer - Packer is a tool for creating machine and container images for multiple platforms from a single source configuration.
- terraforming - Export existing AWS resources to Terraform style (tf, tfstate)
- Test Kitchen - Test Kitchen is a test harness tool to execute your configured code on one or more platforms in isolation.
- htop - an interactive process viewer for Unix
- battery-level - Get current battery level
- wallpaper-cli - Get or set the desktop wallpaper
- speedtest-cli - Command line interface for testing internet bandwidth using speedtest.net
- httpie - CLI HTTP client; user-friendly cURL replacement featuring intuitive UI, JSON support, syntax highlighting, wget-like downloads, extensions, etc.
- homeshick - git dotfiles synchronizer written in bash
- dotfiler - the ultimate solution for managing dotfiles
- Postman - Postman helps you develop APIs faster.
- CharlesProxy - Charles is an HTTP proxy / HTTP monitor / Reverse Proxy that enables a developer to view all of the HTTP and SSL / HTTPS traffic between their machine and the Internet. This includes requests, responses and the HTTP headers (which contain the cookies and caching information).
- RequestBin - RequestBin gives you a URL that will collect requests made to it and let you inspect them in a human-friendly way.
- Wireshark - Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer.
- Sphinx - Sphinx is a tool that makes it easy to create intelligent and beautiful documentation, written by Georg Brandl and licensed under the BSD license.
- MkDocs - Project documentation with Markdown.
- Slate - Beautiful static documentation for your API
- API Blueprint - API Blueprint. A powerful high-level API description language for web APIs.
- ApiDocJS - Inline Documentation for RESTful web APIs
- hologram - A markdown based documentation system for style guides
- doctoc - Generates table of contents for markdown files inside local git repository. Links are compatible with anchors generated by github or other sites.
Dummy Data and Content
- json-server - Get a full fake REST API with zero coding in less than 30 seconds (seriously)
- faker-cli - A command-line wrapper for faker
- generatedata - Online tool for creating fake database data and exports to multiple formts like Excel and JSON.
- Placehold.it - A quick and simple image placeholder service.
- choosealicense - Choose a license in your terminal.
- pm - The easy way to switch to your projects on the shell
- ttygif - Convert terminal recordings to animated gifs
- quote-cli - Get a random quote or the quote of the day in your CLI
- tldr - Simplified and community-driven man pages
- tldr.py - A python client for tldr: simplified and community-driven man pages.
- how2 - stackoverflow from the terminal. how2 finds the simplest way to do something in a unix shell. It's like man, but you can query it in natural language.
- caniuse-cmd - Just what you've always wanted, it's a caniuse command line tool! All the power of caniuse.com with none of the nice UI or interactivity
- Fontastic - Create your icon fonts in seconds. Make your website faster. Over 9,000 icons available.
A curated list of Tools, Libraries and Frameworks essential for every Frond-end developer.
- AngularJS ( The Superheroic MVW )
- Meteor ( Client + Server )
- EmberJS ( Simple templating, used by yahoo, groupon )
- Backbone ( Lightweight, fast )
- ReactJS ( The V in MVC, Fast dom manipulation with Virtual dom )
- Famo.us ( Hardware accelerated engine )
- jQuery ( Dom manipulation specialist )
- ZeptoJS ( lightweight jquery )
- Underscore ( Adding additional features to JS )
- Loadash ( Also called as high performance underscore )
- RequireJS ( Include modules to your application )
- Modernizr ( Feature detection )
- Normalize.css ( Handle styles for different browsers the html5 way )
- Grunt ( Task automator )
- Bower ( Package manager like npm )
- Gulp ( Automates work flow )
- Yeoman ( Builds scaffolds to start with )
JS Preprocessors ( Compiles into normal js : less repetition, more manageability)
- Typescript ( Typed superset of JS from microsoft )
- Ionic Framework ( More like angularJS+Bootstrap for mobile)
- jQuery Mobile ( If you know jquery you already know this )
- Sencha touch
- HammerJS / QuoJS ( Better touch event handlers )
- Foundation by zurb
- HTML5 Boilerplate ( Opensource starter template containing best practices )
CSS Preprocessors ( Compiles into normal css : less repetition, more manageability )
Nice to know
- Browser Diet
- You might not need jQuery
- Introduction to webcomponents
- Yeoman grunt bower basics
- SubmlimeText / Brackets
- Chrome Dev tools / Firebug
- Google fonts
- RunScope (For a server-side collaborate solution for Web Services)
Awesome Free Resources for Web Developers
Table of Contents
- API Testing
- Design Related
- Domains and Hosting
- Font Related
- Image Related
- Reference Lists
- Site Testing
- Team Tools
- UI Frameworks
- More Tools
Provides tools for detailed analysis on activity on your web site.
Makes it easy to construct various types of HTTP requests and makes it really easy to test web apis.
Gives you a URL that will collect requests made to it and let you inspect them in a human-friendly way.
Create color schemes with the color wheel or browse thousands of color combinations from the Kuler community.
Generate infinite color palettes for your designs and share, export or save it in your profile.
A designer tool for creating color combinations that work together well. Formerly known as Color Scheme Designer.
Nifty color palette browser.
Test and compare more than 2200 typefaces
Domains and Hosting
Provides an intuitive and fast domain name search.
Free hosting for blogs and tech projects.
Handy font for creating UI mockups.
Great resources for lots of free fonts.
Provides many free web fonts.
Can help you determine what font was used by processing an image.
Cleans up messy JS code.
Provides a sandbox for easy JS testing and sharing.
A tool for creating and testing regular expressions.
Typing practice for programmers.
Browse tons of free graphic resources.
Generate favicons for your site.
Generate CSS based background patterns.
Provides simple image placeholders for UI mockups.
A great resources for lots of neat background images.
An easy lookup tool for HTML entities.
Reference list for HTTP status codes.
Tests your site in hundreds of browsers by providing screenshots of how your site looks in each one.
Test the load time of your site and find bottlenecks.
Test your SSL configuration and look for ways to improve security.
Validate the standards compliance of your markup.
Simple but effective card based planning tool.
- [Bower] (http://bower.io/) : A package manager for the web
- [GruntJS] (http://gruntjs.com/) : Automate Repetitive Tasks :
$ npm install -g grunt-cli
- [grunt-contrib-sass] (https://github.com/gruntjs/grunt-contrib-sass) : Configure SASS compilation jobs from grunt :
$ npm install grunt-contrib-sass --save-dev
- [localtunnel] (http://localtunnel.me/) : Localtunnel allows you to easily share a web service on your local development machine without messing with DNS and firewall settings
- [grunt-jscs] (https://github.com/jscs-dev/grunt-jscs) :
Run JSCS from a grunt job. Useful for CI integration :([JSCS has been merged into ESLint] (http://blog.jquery.com/2016/04/19/eslint-joins-the-jquery-foundation/))
$ npm install grunt-jscs --save-dev
- [grunt-eslint] (https://github.com/sindresorhus/grunt-eslint) : Run ESLint from a grunt job. Useful for CI integration :
$ npm install --save-dev grunt-eslint
Sublime Text Packages
- [Package Control] (https://packagecontrol.io/) : ** Recommend you set this up before all other plugins **
- [EditorConfig] (https://packagecontrol.io/packages/EditorConfig) : Helps developers maintain consistent coding styles between different editors
- [JSCS-Formatter] (https://packagecontrol.io/packages/JSCS-Formatter) : Because JS is, and should be, beautiful
- [HTML Beautify] (https://packagecontrol.io/packages/HTMLBeautify) : Correct indendation of HTML greatly aids readability. Unfortunately, developers rarely stick to this!
- [ColorZilla] (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/colorzilla/bhlhnicpbhignbdhedgjhgdocnmhomnp?hl=en) : With ColorZilla you can get a color reading from any point in your browser, quickly adjust this color and paste it into another program. And it can do so much more...
- [Page Ruler] (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-ruler/jlpkojjdgbllmedoapgfodplfhcbnbpn?hl=en) : Draw a ruler to get pixel dimensions and positioning, and measure elements on any web page.
- [Postman] (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/postman/fhbjgbiflinjbdggehcddcbncdddomop?hl=en) : Build, test, and document your APIs faster.
- [WhatFont] (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/whatfont/jabopobgcpjmedljpbcaablpmlmfcogm?hl=en) : With this extension, you can inspect web fonts by just hovering on them
Structure & Organisation
- [Bower] (http://bower.io/) : A package manager for the web
- [Browserify] (http://browserify.org/) : Browserify lets you require('modules') in the browser by bundling up all of your dependencies
- [Browserify Transforms] (https://github.com/substack/node-browserify/wiki/list-of-transforms) : A list of useful browserify transforms
- [Yeoman] (http://yeoman.io/) : Helps you to kickstart new projects, prescribing best practices and tools to help you stay productive
- [Apigee] (https://apigee.com/providers) : Apigee API Console Provider directory: Discover, Learn, Test, and Debug any API with interactive developer tools and documentation
- [Codepen] (http://codepen.io/) : Show off your latest creation and get feedback. Build a test case for that pesky bug. Find example design patterns and inspiration for your projects
Formatters / Validators
- [JSON Formatter & Validator] (https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/) : As JSON data is often output without line breaks to save space, it is extremely difficult to actually read and make sense of it. This little tool hoped to solve the problem by formatting the JSON data so that it is easy to read and debug by human beings