This is a example code to perform OAuth 2.0 authentication and interact with Xero's API without a SDK.
You'll be able to connect to a Xero Organisation and make real API calls - we recommend you connect to the Demo company.
To run locally, you'll need a local web server with PHP support.
- MAMP is a good option Download MAMP
Download this code
- Clone this repo into your local server webroot. i.e.
- Launch a terminal app and change to the newly cloned folder
- Download dependencies with Composer using the following command:
Create a Xero App
To obtain your API keys, follow these steps and create a Xero app
- Create a free Xero user account (if you don't have one)
- Login to Xero developer center
- Click "New App" link
- Enter the redirect URI (your callback url - i.e.
- Agree to terms and condition and click "Create App".
- Click "Generate a secret" button.
- Copy your client id and client secret and save for use later.
- Click the "Save" button. You secret is now hidden.
Configure API keys
You'll need to update your code where ever there is a clientId, clientSecret or redirectUri
Sample PHP code from authorization.php
$clientId = '__YOUR_CLIENT_ID__'; $clientSecret = '__YOUR_CLIENT_SECRET__'; $redirectUri = 'http://localhost:8888/php-oauth2-example/index.php'; $provider = new \League\OAuth2\Client\Provider\GenericProvider([ 'clientId' => $clientId, 'clientSecret' => $clientSecret, 'redirectUri' => $redirectUri, 'urlAuthorize' => 'https://login.xero.com/identity/connect/authorize', 'urlAccessToken' => 'https://identity.xero.com/connect/token', 'urlResourceOwnerDetails' => 'https://api.xero.com/api.xro/2.0/Invoices' ]);
Take it for a spin
Launch your browser and navigate to http://localhost:8888/php-oauth2-example/ (or whatever the correct path is).
- The authorization flow will start automatically when you visit the above URL. (your index.php)
- Grant access to your user account and select the Demo company to connect to.
- The callback page is the same index.php and will execute the correct block of code to obtain an access token, call the connections endpoint to GET your xero tenant id, GET your organisation details and PUT a new contact.
This software is published under the MIT License.
Copyright (c) 2020 Xero Limited Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.